Cornwall Drama Association
THEATRE FESTIVAL 2018-2019
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY AND RULES
All societies, groups and schools affiliated to the CDA are invited to enter
Cornwall Drama Association Theatre Festival
The purpose of the Festival is two-fold: firstly, it is designed to assist societies and to improve standards through WRITTEN ADJUDICATIONS; secondly, trophies and certificates are awarded each year to winners in the Festival COMPETITION. In the competition, awards will be made to those societies which, in the opinion of the Adjudicators, best meet the challenge of the Festival. The Adjudicators will base their decisions on acting, direction, presentation, and all-round enterprise.
Professional involvement: in the case of PLAYS, all actors/directors/producers must be amateurs. For avoidance of doubt the term ‘amateur’ will refer to an actor/director/producer who during the previous two CDA festival years has not been featured in a stage, film or television production performed or presented by a ‘for profit organisation’ where the actor has had a speaking role, or a credit as an actor/director/producer has been given either in the programme or on the film/television production’s final credit roll. Film or T.V. extras (unless they fall into the foregoing category), drama teachers and experienced amateurs who are occasionally paid to direct are not considered to be professionals. In the case of MUSICAL PRODUCTIONS the foregoing comments regarding amateur status shall not apply to musicians and musical directors.
1. The Festival year runs from 1 September and ends on the following 31 August
2. There are two sections in the Festival, both of which cover adult and youth performances:
(i) PLAYS SECTION (Two or more 1 act plays will be accepted providing the running time equals a full length play – please state running times on entry form)
(ii) MUSICALS, PANTOMIMES AND REVUES SECTION
3. All Adjudicators will be drawn from the current panel of Adjudicators authorised by the Cornwall Drama Association, and normally two Adjudicators will attend a performance.
4. Societies, groups and schools may enter more than one production during the Festival period. Any group may win more than one award.
5. Entries will be accepted UP TO FOUR WEEKS PRIOR TO THE PERFORMANCE DATES. Late entries will only be accepted IF THERE ARE ADJUDICATORS FREE TO COVER THE EVENT.
6. THE ENTRY FEE is £34 per production. Cheques payable to Cornwall Drama Association or payable by BACS
7. Groups will be adjudicated in their performance space during a normal public performance of a production. There will be no spoken adjudication. In due course (usually within 14 days) the director named on the application form will receive a confidential report. The Adjudicators will see one performance of the play, and additional adjudications cannot be considered, for cast changes etc. Any queries arising from the written report should be made in writing by the Chair of the Society and directed to the Vice Chair of the CDA Committee.
8. No marks will be revealed at any time.
9. It is requested that Directors/Secretaries send the names and ages of cast members who are 18 or under with the entry form. This is to enable the adjudicators to assess the young people for the ROY CROSLEY AWARD, made to outstanding young actors taking part in the Festival.
10. A production will be entered in the Festival in the year in which its run starts. A production that straddles two festival years can be entered into either festival year at the discretion of the Co-ordinating Adjudicator.
11. One copy of the play/script must be sent with the entry form. However, no copies of Shakespeare’s plays will be required, nor well-known musicals or any pantomimes (please check with adjudicators if in doubt). These copies will be returned to the societies with the written adjudication. No photocopied scripts will be accepted by the adjudicators unless these have been approved by the publishers.
12. Members of the current adjudicating panel can enter any production of which they are the DIRECTOR only as a non-competitive entry.
Please contact one of the adjudicators named on the entry form if you have any queries about these rules.